What to do in the woods if you get lost at night? What if you came face to face with a predator? Find out what Kiev tour guides have to say about the wild of Ukraine and how to survive.
How to survive in nature in the face of unexpected challenges
Situations are unusual, but answers to such questions may soon be needed by participants in the Mission Siberia11 project preparing for the harsh Russian taiga in the Tomsk region and the Republic of Tajikistan; as well as people who like extreme travel.
What can be a serious test for Ukrainians inexperienced in nature, everyday life for the British John Wiseman. Having served as an instructor for 26 years in an elite British unit operating in enemy territory, he not only knows the answers to death and life questions but has also tested many of them with his own bare skin.
One of the most important areas of his work in the Special Air Force was the training of soldiers and civilians on how to deal with difficult situations and ensure their own safety and the safety of those around them. Having repeatedly avoided death himself and saved the lives of others, John believes that the most important basis for survival in nature is knowledge.
For those in emergencies, Wiseman advises them to think of survival skills as a pyramid based on the desire to survive. One step in the pyramid is knowledge. They give confidence and dispel fears. The next step is experience: developing and improving skills. The survival pyramid is completed by survival tools. According to him, combining the desire to survive instinct with knowledge, experience, and tools – any person will be ready for anything.
Kiev tour guides say
After graduating, Wiseman did not forget his skills and decided to share them with everyone, so he wrote a survival guide, The Survival Guide, in which he shared his experience of how to survive in nature in the face of unexpected challenges, such as a wild animal in Kiev.
Here are 10 tips from Wiseman’s book that may be useful not only for those on the mission to Siberia Mission11 but also for anyone planning to spend their summer vacation in nature.
10 tips from Wiseman’s book
1. If you come in contact with a large beast face to face, stop. Slowly pull back and speak in a calm tone. Do not make sudden movements and remember that beasts smell fear. Try to stay calm as much as possible. If the beast seems ready to attack, you may be blocking his way to escape. Get out. If the beast starts chasing you – run zig-zags, some beasts have poor vision or are only able to attack in a straight line.
2. Avoid the most dangerous places in the mountains, especially during blizzards. That is – in the snow-covered prominent slopes, as well as in the shelters of the slopes, where a lot of snow and deep, snow-filled ravines have accumulated.
3. If you run out of freshwater – look for a source of water immediately (water is vital!), But be careful. Anybody not surrounded by green vegetation or tossed animal bones is suspicious. Most likely – it is contaminated. Boil water from any water source first. If you do not have fresh drinking water – avoid eating, it will further thirst. As long as you have the strength, try to find some source of water.
4. No matter how much water you lack – never think of drinking seawater and urine. However, after distillation, drinking water can be extracted from both. And after distilling off the seawater, there will still be salts. In the deadly lack of water – it can even be extracted from animals – their eyes are full of water that can be sucked.
5. Always boil water, even the one you brush your teeth with. In case of injury, cover the wounds and try not to stand in water in risky areas.
6. When lost at night, the moon can be a great landmark. If the moon rises before the sun sets, the illuminated side will be to the west. If it rises after midnight, the lighted side is to the east.
7. Use only dry fires, such as twigs, firewood, to ignite the scrap. Both the foundation materials and the firebox must be dry – do not rip them off the ground. If the surface of the firebox is wet, shave until you reach dry wood. Well-dried animal feces and animal fats can also be suitable for fires.
8. In case of severe injury and stopping the blood flowing from the artery, speed is the most important thing. Squeeze the artery where it goes as close to the surface as possible over the bone. However, no matter how bleeding, do not keep the arteries constricted for more than 15 minutes, as the blood will not be able to nourish the body’s tissues.
9. If you have a severe allergic reaction to the plant, do not touch your face or other parts of your body with your hands until you have washed them thoroughly. Rash and swelling can interfere with breathing, vision, and urination.
10. Do not drive a car during a hurricane and a very strong storm. It provides complete protection against strong winds and flying debris. When a hurricane seems to have passed, stay put if it’s a good hiding place. Usually, about an hour will be completely quiet until pr
the eyes of the hurricane will come, and then the wind will resume.
Mr. Wiseman says that in an emergency, we should consider any item we have as a gift. According to him, without any equipment, a person should not feel like without hands, because he can always use skills and experience. However, those skills and experiences must not be allowed to dust-up, so they must be constantly nurtured and the knowledge they already have deepened.
If you think you can manage nature by yourself that’s all right, but if you don’t take a local with you. Visit showaround.com
This post was created with our nice and easy submission form. Create your post!